We help people who are vulnerable because of their lack of mental capacity or young age to take advantage of the services offered by the justice system. This helps them to avoid being socially excluded.
Who we are
We’re the combined office of the Official Solicitor to the Senior Courts and the Public Trustee – 2 separate, independent statutory office holders. We are around 135 staff who support their work, including lawyers and administrators. All are civil servants based in our offices in London.
We give administrative and operational support to the Official Solicitor to the Senior Courts and to the Public Trustee, who have separate duties.
The Official Solicitor acts:
- as a last resort litigation friend and in some cases solicitor, for children (other than those who are the subject of child welfare proceedings) and for adults who lack mental capacity
- on behalf of the Lord Chancellor in cases of international child abduction, through the International Child Abduction and Contact Unit (ICACU)
- on behalf of the Lord Chancellor in cases of international maintenance claims through the Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders Unit (REMO)
- as the registered contact in the administration of the Child Trust Fund for children in care in England and Wales when there is no other suitable person to do so
The Public Trustee acts:
- as executor or administrator of last resort for estates, where the beneficiary is a vulnerable person
- as the title holder of an estate where there is no will or no named executor or executor with ability to act, until a grant of representation is given
- to manage the register of certain notices affecting land
- in relation to common land and undivided shares in land
Telephone numbers for Official Solicitor and Public Trustee departments.
Child Trust Funds
Telephone: 020 3681 2753
Telephone: 020 3681 2750
Telephone: 020 3681 2752
Court of Protection - Healthcare and Welfare
Telephone: 020 3681 2751
Court of Protection - Property and Affairs
Telephone: 020 3681 2758
International Child Abduction Unit
Telephone: 020 3681 2608
Private Law - Family and Divorce
Telephone: 020 3681 2754
Public Law - Family
Telephone: 020 3681 2755
Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders (REMO) EU and Non EU cases
Telephone: 020 3681 2757
Trust and Deputy Services
Telephone: 020 3681 2759