What we do
We make sure people serve the sentences and orders handed out by courts, both in prisons and in the community.
We are accountable for how prisons are run in England and Wales. Through HM Prison Service we manage public sector prisons in England and Wales.
We also oversee probation delivery in England and Wales through the National Probation Service and community rehabilitation companies.
Within England and Wales, we’re responsible for:
- the running of prison and probation services
- the rehabilitation services for prisoners leaving prison
- making sure support is available to stop people offending again
- contract managing private sector prisons and services such as the Prisoner Escort Service and electronic tagging
Full details of our statement of purpose and responsibilities are in our current business plan.
NOMS in Wales
NOMS in Wales has been created to make sure all organisations delivering services involving prisoners in Wales work closely together. We work with the Welsh Government to ensure that what we deliver is in line with the policies the Welsh Government creates for the people of Wales.
We also work closely with charities, independent inspectors, local councils, the courts and police to support the justice system. NOMS in Wales is committed to the Welsh Language Scheme. We seek to manage the requirements of Welsh speaking offenders in custody and in the community.
Within Wales we:
- Directly carry out the sentencing of the courts through the public sector prisons and the National Probation Service in Wales
- Manage the contracts for the Wales Community Rehabilitation Company and HMP Parc
- Implement the overall aims of NOMS agency
- Represent NOMS to the Welsh Government and local partners, working with them to support an integrated system that complements the Welsh Government’s strategic programme
- Lead the programme to establish the new prison in North Wales.
Our long-term priority is to support the justice system and prevent future victims by cutting crimes and reducing re-offending.
How we work
We work with a wide range of other agencies, organisations and providers.
We work with independent organisations to run prisons, provide prisoner escort and electronic monitoring, and other offender services.
We also work with other government departments to provide health, education and training services to those in custody. We work with charities and social enterprise organisations to develop and carry out programmes to reduce re-offending.
We also work with independent inspectors, local councils, youth offending teams, courts, police and other enforcement agencies to meet our responsibilities and support the justice system.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Find out About our services.