When we ask you for personal information we promise to:
- tell you why we need it
- only ask for what we need
- make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- let you know if we’re going to share it with other organisations so that you can benefit from better public services, and let you know how to opt out of this
- only keep it for as long as we need to
- not make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission, unless it is information that we are required to make publicly available on a public register
In return we ask you to:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you - eg to prevent and detect crime or produce anonymised statistics
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date
- how to make a complaint
If you would like access to any of the above information or would like to tell us about a change to your personal information, contact us.
Telephone: 0300 200 3000
Intellectual Property Office
When we ask you for information, we’ll keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act, 1998.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner.