The Independent Advisory Group on country Information
Section 48 (2) (j) of the UK Borders Act 2007 states that the Chief Inspector shall consider and make recommendations about ‘the content of information and conditions in countries outside the United Kingdom which the Secretary of State compiles and makes available, for purposes connected with immigration and asylum, to immigration and other officials.’
The Independent Advisory group on Country Information (IAGCI) was established in 2009 to succeed the Advisory Panel on Country Information. IAGCI advises the ICIBI about the content and quality of country information and guidance notes produced by the Home Office and relied upon by decision makers.
IAGCI commissions and quality assures reviews from independent reviewers, typically academics with relevant knowledge and expertise, of selected country information. The work is funded by ICIBI. Following an IAGCI review, the ICIBI sends an inspection report to the Home Secretary with his recommendations.
From July 2016 the minutes of the IAGCI meetings formed part of the final report. For minutes and reviews prior to this date please see the National Archives website.
Membership of the IAGCI is by invitation of the ICIBI and is voluntary and unpaid. Members are respected academics and representatives of organisations with a working interest in country information and how it is used by the Home Office. The group usually meet 3 times a year although additional meetings can be scheduled at the request of the Independent Chief Inspector.
- Dr Laura Hammond (Chair) – School of Oriental and Africa Studies (SOAS)
- Dr Ceri Oeppen – University of Sussex
- Dr Mike Collyer – University of Sussex
- Dr Patricia Daley – University of Oxford
- Professor Giorgia Dona – University of East London (UEL)
- Dr Nando Sigona – University of Birmingham
- Dr Julie Vullnetari – University of Southampton
- Mr Andrew Jordan – First Tier Tribunal, Immigration and Asylum Chamber
- Ms Katinka Ridderbos – UNHCR Geneva
- Ms Harriet Short – Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association (ILPA)
For more information, see Terms of reference and Commissioning reviews.
Independent Advisory Group on Country Information (IAGCI),
Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration,
5th Floor, Globe House,
89 Eccleston Square,
London, SW1V 1PN