The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) helps create successful communities by making more homes and business premises available to the residents and businesses who need them. We also regulate social housing providers in England.
We work locally in individual communities to help meet local priorities.
We invest mostly in building new homes, but also in creating employment floorspace and other community facilities, in cities, towns and villages across the country. The homes we fund include affordable homes for rent and sale, and homes for rent or sale at market prices. Our investment helps build around half of all new homes built in England each year. It also helps increase local growth by creating jobs and supporting businesses.
We own public land, which we sell to house builders and others. This is one of the ways in which we overcome barriers to development and help increase the speed with which house builders can build new homes.
We also regulate social housing providers (mostly housing associations) in England. We do this to protect social housing assets - making sure that social homes remain available to tenants, and that the taxpayers’ investment in those homes is protected.
Who we are
We’re the government’s housing, land and regeneration agency, and the regulator of social housing providers in England.
Around 900 people work at the HCA in offices across England.
We’re responsible for:
- increasing the number of new homes that are built in England, including affordable homes and homes for market sale or rent
- improving existing affordable homes and bringing empty homes back into use as affordable housing
- increasing the supply of public land and speeding up the rate that it can be built on
- regulating social housing providers to make sure that they’re well managed and financially secure, so maintaining investor confidence in the affordable housing sector and protecting homes for tenants
- helping to stimulate local economic growth by using our land and investment, and attracting private sector investment in local areas
Our priorities can be read in full in our corporate plan. In 2014 to 2015 we will:
- invest over £4 billion in building new homes, helping around 70,000 families and individuals to own or rent their own home
- sell land that will be suitable for building around 6,000 more homes in the future
- build over 315,000 square metres of new business floorspace
- bring over 450 hectares of derelict land back into use for local people
- develop our regulatory framework and improve our ability to effectively regulate the social housing sector, which is becoming more complex and risky
- make sure our organisation continues to develop so we are ready to respond to the things government asks us to do in the future
Access our information
- Complaints procedure
- Statistics at HCA
- Equality and diversity
- Office access and opening times
- Our governance
- Media enquiries
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data