Who we are
We’re the government’s housing accelerator. We have the appetite, influence, expertise and resources to drive positive market change. By releasing more land to developers who want to make a difference, we’re making possible the new homes England needs, helping to improve neighbourhoods and grow communities. We welcome partners who share our ambition to challenge traditional norms and build better homes faster.
We are a new non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. We exist to accelerate the delivery of housing across England, except in London where much of this role is devolved.
We’re a national agency with experts based in offices across the country. We’re governed by a Board, appointed by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, and led by our Chair, Sir Edward Lister. Our Chief Executive, Nick Walkley, leads an executive team that includes specialists in land, investment, finance and risk management.
What we do
Our role is to ensure more people in England have access to better homes in the right places. Our role is to ensure more people in England have access to better homes in the right places. To make this happen we intervene in the market to get more homes built where they are needed. We accelerate delivery, tackle market failure where it occurs and help to shape a more resilient and diverse housing market.
We work in collaboration with partners who share our ambition. These include local authorities, private developers, housing associations, lenders and infrastructure providers. Our activities are always in response to local needs and robust leadership ensures we deliver best value for money in all of our interventions, including those delivered with partners.
Within the next few years, we will have invested over £27 billion across our programmes.
- Ambitious – We always strive for more and believe in better.
- Collaborative – We work together to get things done.
- Commercial – We’re professionals who achieve value for money.
- Creative – We’re always thinking up new ideas and disrupting the status quo.
- Diverse – We value everybody as an individual, and in their thoughts and ideas.
- Learning – We can always do better, share what we know, and admit our mistakes.
What is great about joining our team?
- We are disrupting the status quo – we are making real changes to the housing market now to ensure your children and their children can afford to buy quality homes in the future.
- Through enabling the development of affordable housing we are making sure individuals can choose where they would like to live rather than where they can afford. This helps keeps families and communities closer together. This is something we are really proud of.
As if all of this wasn’t good enough we also offer:
- A competitive salary
- 33 days annual leave (plus 8 bank holidays)
- Flexible working arrangements (Flexi-time, Part time, Compressed Hours, Job Share, Full Time, Term Time Only and if we have missed anything from our list – then just talk to us)
- Pension scheme
- Nuffield 365 Health Screening Check
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle Scheme
- Professional Membership - we pay our teams membership fees for one professional body per year.
- 24 hour Employee Assistance Program
- Free eye tests
- Access to exclusive discounts and offers, regular competitions and the ability to purchase vouchers at discounted prices from leading retailers.
- We are a learning organization join our team and you will have the opportunity to undertake professional qualifications, job shadowing, mentoring and coaching.
- We are a Disability Confident employer
To view and apply for our roles please visit Civil Service Jobs.
If you are successful in your application, we will ask you to provide certain information, such as proof of your eligibility to work in the UK and details of any unspent convictions, in order to meet the HMG baseline personnel security standard.
Homes England is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data. For further information please refer to our Privacy Notice.