Complaints procedure

We take all complaints we receive very seriously.

Our commitment

Complaints are recorded so that the whole department can learn from them. We aim to resolve them informally whenever possible, but we will let you know who to get in touch with if you are still unhappy and want to take things further.

We will respond to all complaints as soon as possible.

How to make a complaint

You can complain by calling us on 020 7270 5000, or by writing to:

The correspondence and enquiry unit
HM Treasury
1 Horse Guards Road

You can also email

You will need to explain what the problem is, what you’re looking for as a result, and whether this is an initial complaint or a follow-up to an earlier complaint. Any records of times and dates will also be useful. You will also need to give your full name and postal address.

Still not satisfied?

If you have gone through our complaints procedure and you are still not satisfied, then you can ask for the case to be referred to the permanent secretary to the Treasury, the head of the department. After that, you can take the matter to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration - also known as the Ombudsman.

Complaints to the Ombudsman need to go through an MP. Your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau can give you the address of your MP. You can get more advice from the Ombudsman’s office at the following address:

Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033 Fax: 020 7217 4160

Complaining about other organisations

The following other organisations have their own complaints procedures: