We’re responsible for handling appeals against local authority decisions regarding special educational needs, including a refusal to:
- assess a child’s educational, health and care (EHC) needs
- make a statement of their special educational needs
- reassess their special educational needs
- create an EHC plan
- change what’s in a child’s special educational needs statement or EHC plan
- maintain the statement or EHC plan
We also handle appeals against decisions to refuse people under 18 in custody:
- an EHC assessment
- an EHC plan after assessment
- a placement to a suitable school or other institution after their release
We also handle appeals against discrimination by schools or local authorities due to a child’s disability.
Who we are
We are part of the Health, Education and Social Care Chamber, one of 7 chambers of the First-tier Tribunal which settles legal disputes and is structured around particular areas of law.