What we do
We’re responsible for handling appeals against local authority decisions regarding special educational needs, including a refusal to:
- assess a child’s educational, health and care (EHC) needs
- make a statement of their special educational needs
- reassess their special educational needs
- create an EHC plan
- change what’s in a child’s special educational needs statement or EHC plan
- maintain the statement or EHC plan
We also handle appeals against decisions to refuse people under 18 in custody:
- an EHC assessment
- an EHC plan after assessment
- a placement to a suitable school or other institution after their release
We also handle appeals against discrimination by schools or local authorities due to a child’s disability.
From 3rd April 2018, our jurisdiction will be extended to include the power to make recommendations about health and social care issues in all appeals except refusal to secure an EHC needs assessment or re-assessment. The Department for Education’s national trial of extended powers for the tribunal will run for a period of 2 years.
Who we are
We are part of the Health, Education and Social Care Chamber, one of 7 chambers of the First-tier Tribunal which settles legal disputes and is structured around particular areas of law.
Contact First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability)
First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability)
1st Floor, Darlington Magistrates Court
Telephone 01325 289 350
Fax 0870 739 4017
Opening hours and facilities:
Sign up to our stakeholder newsletter