The government will start using new and simpler security classifications from 2 April 2014 to speed up work and save the taxpayer money.
Francis Maude delivered the 2014 Robert Oakeshott Memorial Lecture on employee ownership and the future of public services.
What we do
The Efficiency and Reform Group (ERG) works in partnership with HM Treasury and government departments to deliver efficiencies, savings and reforms on behalf of UK taxpayers. ERG aims to save money, transform the way public services are delivered, improve user experience and support UK growth.
We are responsible for:
- delivering savings by ensuring that government acts as ‘one customer’ – through combining government’s buying power, increasing our pool of suppliers to government (including small and medium-sized enterprises) and buying more quickly
- assuring the delivery of government’s most significant projects, on time, within budget and to a high quality
- transforming public services by being digital by default, focusing on the needs of users and making sustainable savings for government
- supporting UK growth by allowing a wider range of UK businesses to bid for government contracts and making new commercial partnerships and businesses, including support for public service mutuals
- reforming government’s management information and driving a clear, evidence based approach to efficiency programmes across government
In 2013 to 2014 our priorities are:
- to work collaboratively with departments to make savings of at least £12 billion in 2013 to 2014
- to support departments to innovate, digitise and use new commercial models to improve how public services are delivered
- to minimise losses due to fraud and error in the distribution of benefits and grants and improve collection of debts owed to government
- to build high quality capability and capacity within the Major Projects Authority
- to maximise economic growth for the UK economy
Who we are
We are led by Chief Operating Officer Stephen Kelly.
We have offices in London, Newport, Norwich and Liverpool.
We work on these topics
Openness and transparency can save money, strengthen people's trust in government and encourage greater public participation in decision-making. Read more
Publishing government data, improving the accessibility of data and helping businesses use data to create new products and services.
We're changing the way government buys goods and services so we can save money and support the economy.
We're improving government services and increasing the amount of public service mutuals to make services more effective for users.
- 4 March 2014
- News story
- 27 February 2014
- News story
Chief Operating Officer for Government
ERG Service Desk
ERG Service Desk
St Andrews Business Park
Telephone 0845 000 4999
Telephone 020 7276 0400
Telephone 020 7276 2234
Make an FOI request
Jobs and contracts