We are responsible for:
- supporting and advising our ministers: we help them shape and deliver policy that delivers the government’s objectives
- setting direction: we anticipate the future and lead debate ensuring we protect and improve global and domestic health
- accountability: we make sure the department and our arm’s length bodies deliver on our agreed plans and commitments
- acting as guardians of the health and care framework: we make sure the legislative, financial, administrative and policy frameworks are fit for purpose and work together
- troubleshooting: in the last resort, the public and Parliament expect us to take the action needed to resolve crucial and complex issues
From 2019 to 2020 we will:
- keep people safe, leading global health and international relations including EU Exit
- keep people healthy and independent in their communities, supporting the transformation of NHS primary, community and mental health services, and local authority public health and adult social care
- support the NHS to deliver high quality, safe and sustainable hospital care and secure the right workforce
- support research and innovation to maximise health and economic productivity
- ensure accountability of the health and care system to Parliament and the taxpayer, and create an efficient and effective DHSC
- create value (reduce costs and grow income) by driving excellence in commercial practice across the health and social care system
- improve health and social care by giving people the technology they need, led by NHSX
Read our single departmental plan to find out more about how we are performing against our objectives.
Who we are
DHSC is a ministerial department, supported by 15 arm’s length bodies and a number of other agencies and public bodies. The department employs 2,160 staff, who work in locations across the country.
Find out more about the department’s partner organisations and agencies, also known as arm’s length bodies.
This page includes contact information and a list of members of the executive boards.