We do this by building strong relationships with industry and overseas governments.
We provide specialist export advice and practical assistance, working closely with industry and government departments including the Ministry of Defence (MOD), the Home Office and the Export Control Joint Unit (ECJU).
Who we are
The Department for International Trade Defence and Security Organisation (DIT DSO) has around 100 staff in London and another 27 members in our Export Support Team. DIT DSO has a small number of diplomatic posts overseas. We also have access to other overseas DIT/FCO staff. For more information see our corporate brochure.
DIT DSO has 2 regional teams staffed by experts in their particular geographical areas and are the first point of contact for overseas customers and UK companies. These are:
- region 1 which covers the Americas, Pacific and East Asia
- region 2 which covers Europe, Middle East, Africa and Central and South Asia
The teams provide focused government advice and they lead on all matters relating to the export of defence and security equipment and services, and support specific industry-led overseas marketing campaigns.
The teams are supported by cadres of defence and security specialists who provide first hand advice on defence and security capabilities.
DIT DSO Export Support Team
The Export Support Team (EST) comprises of serving military personnel with a wide range of expertise. They provide a wide range of support including impartial military advice, demonstrations and support at exhibitions.
Watch the DIT DSO video:
Watch ‘The role of the DIT Defence and Security Organisation’
We are responsible for:
- helping UK defence and security industries export their products
- maintaining relationships with overseas governments to promote British defence and security products
- working with MOD and industry to ensure defence and security products have export potential
- providing UK defence and security companies with specialist support to sell their goods
Watch how DIT DSO helps companies increase security exports:
Watch ‘UK: partners in security’
For 2018 to 2019, our priorities will be to:
- assist UK defence and security companies to export their products particularly in our priority markets
- support the major UK defence and security exhibitions (Farnborough International Air Show, Defence and Security Equipment International, and Security and Policing)
- support the UK defence and security industry at overseas events
- promote the rapidly-growing cyber security sector