Working for DCMS
Information about applying for jobs with and working for the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) helps to drive growth, enrich lives, and promote Britain to the world
We protect and promote our cultural and artistic heritage and help businesses and communities to grow by investing in innovation and highlighting Britain as a great place to visit.
We advertise all our jobs on the Civil Service jobs website
You can also go to our careers page for more information.
Other routes into the Civil Service include:
Equality and diversity
DCMS values equality and diversity in employment. We are committed to being an organisation in which fairness and equality of opportunity is central to the approach in business and working relationships, and where the organisational culture reflects and supports these values.
In DCMS you have the right to a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation regardless of race, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, sex, gender identity, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, working hours, trade union membership or trade union activity.
We are committed to reducing barriers to employment and, as part of this, offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet our minimum selection criteria.
What DCMS can offer you
- a competitive salary which is reviewed annually
- end-of-year performance awards, as well as in-year rewards
- specialist allowances to recognise a particular skill, qualification or experience in a particular profession
- an occupational pension when you join DCMS
Employee benefits and rewards
- Working at DCMS – flexible working patterns, modern IT, leave entitlements and career breaks
- Development opportunities – via the DCMS Academy, mentoring and Staff Conferences to name but a few
- Wellbeing – support for mental and physical wellbeing through DCMS networks, special HM Treasury gym rates, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme and many more
- Employee Assistance Programme - a free and confidential service providing information and counselling to help with a range of work, family and personal issues
- The option to join a trade union
- Social activities and clubs
- A competitive salary and pension, as well as in-year rewards, end-of-year performance awards and staff awards
- up to 31.5 days annual leave and 9 days public and privilege leave in a year (pro rata for part time staff)
- maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 39 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks unpaid and paternity leave of 11 days full pay (subject to eligibility)
- time off to deal with emergencies, unexpected situations and certain other unplanned special circumstances
- a minimum of 3 days special leave each year to undertake volunteering opportunities
- paid time off for public service duties, for example if you are an armed forces reservist
- family friendly policies including flexible working patterns
- flexible working hours, subject to business needs
Development and career opportunities
- opportunities to grow and develop your career within a variety of interesting roles within DCMS
- access to 5 learning and development days a year
- bitesize learning through the DCMS academy throughout the year
- digital learning whenever it suits you
- opportunities to apply to talent schemes
- leadership and management qualifications via an apprenticeship
- access to a mentor
What we expect from you
Civil Service Code
As a Civil Servant, you are appointed on merit on the basis of fair and open competition and are expected to carry out your role with dedication and a commitment to the Civil Service and its core values. Read more about the Civil Service code.
- one DCMS - we value and develop everyone, sharing success
- respect for all; celebrating diversity
- we empower and challenge each other within a no blame culture
- we are professional; prioritising work and taking responsibility to get the job done
- keep DCMS a great place to work, attracting the best people