News story

Westminster terrorist attack

How to apply for compensation if you were a victim of the terrorist attack in London on 22 March 2017


Applications can be made to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012, by those victims injured, or the families of those killed in the attack.

If you have been bereaved or suffered a personal injury as a result of this incident you can find out more about applying. Alternatively, you can call the CICA helpline on 0300 003 3601.

You do not need a paid representative, such as a solicitor or claims management company, to apply to CICA for compensation. Our Guide provides information about free independent advice that may be available from local support services or other charitable organisations.

In order to be eligible for compensation, victims must meet one of the residency, nationality or other requirements of paragraph 10 of the Scheme. This means that they must have been ordinarily resident in the UK on the date of the incident or meet one of the conditions in paragraphs 11 or 12 of the Scheme. This is fully explained in the residency section of our Guide.

Published 30 March 2017