Advice for travellers on using ePassport gates to get through the UK border quickly.
Who can use ePassport gates
Most people arriving in the UK can use ePassport gates to get through border control.
You can use ePassport gates if all of the following are true:
- you’ve got the biometric symbol on the cover of your passport
- you’re 18 or over
- you’re a UK or EU citizen
How to use ePassport gates
- Open your passport to the photo page. Don’t forget to remove the passport from its cover.
- Hold the photo page down on the reader and try to keep it still.
- Look at the screen in front until it turns green, then walk through the gate.
- Remove sunglasses, hats and scarves. You might need to take your glasses off too.
- Go through the gates one at a time.
Find out more about entering the UK.