The Department of Health, working in partnership with the Public Health Observatories in England, is today releasing additional baseline data and more recent data for a number of indicators in the Public Health Outcomes Framework (PHOF).
The Public Health Outcomes Framework Healthy lives, healthy people: Improving outcomes and supporting transparency, first published in January 2012, set out a vision for public health, desired outcomes and indicators to aid understanding of how well public health is being improved and protected.
New baseline data are being published on the PHOF data tool for the first time for three indicators:
- 1.12i Age-standardised rate of emergency hospital admissions for violence
- 3.4 People presenting with HIV at a late stage of infection
- 4.8 Mortality rate from communicable diseases
In addition, the release includes more recent data for five indicators where baseline data has already been published:
- 1.4 First time entrants to the youth justice system
- 1.12ii Rate of violence against the person offences based on police recorded crime data
- 2.3 Smoking status at time of delivery
- 2.14 Smoking prevalence among adults (over 18s)
- 2.20 Cancer screening coverage
The data are presented in an interactive data tool which allows users to view data in a user-friendly format and in particular to:
- Benchmark local authorities against the England average
- Compare local authorities against other authorities in the region
- Download a summary report for a local authority
- Download data for further local analysis
The data tool also provides links to further supporting and relevant information to aid understanding of public health in a local population.
- The Public Health Outcomes Framework (PHOF) concentrates on two high-level outcomes to be achieved across the public health system and includes 66 supporting indicators, grouped into four ‘domains’ that cover the full spectrum of public health.
- The latest PHOF policy documents, including technical specifications for all the indicators, are published on the Department of Health website.
- All data are published via the PHOF data tool at: www.phoutcomes.info
- The first PHOF baseline data for 39 indicators were published on 20 November 2012. Today’s release includes more recent data for five of the indicators for which data have already been published, plus new baseline data for a further three indicators. Data are published at England and upper tier local authority level.
- The data currently published in the PHOF data tool are the baselines for the Public Health Outcomes Framework, together with more recent data where these are available. The baseline period is 2010 or equivalent, unless these data are unavailable or not deemed to be of sufficient quality.
- Data for each indicator in the PHOF will be updated annually. However, updates to the data tool will be made on a quarterly basis, to reflect the different times of year when updated data for different indicators will be available.
- Technical development work continues for indicators that are not yet finalised. Outstanding baseline data will be added as part of the quarterly update cycle, as they become available.
- A number of the indicators on the PHOF data tool are presented disaggregated by some of the equalities and inequalities strands. Over time, the number of indicators, and range of such breakdowns, presented will be expanded.
- This release is an official statistics publication, produced in line with the principles and protocols set out by the UK Statistics Authority in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics.