This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The following statistics were released today by the Department of Health:** Latest monthly PIP implant data** (covering the period 6th January…
The following statistics were released today by the Department of Health:**
Latest monthly PIP implant data** (covering the period 6th January to **30th November 2012)
This release covers two monthly data collections monitoring the “NHS Offer” for patients who have had PIP implants.
The first collection monitors the extent to which patients who had PIP implants implanted privately have presented to the NHS.
The second collection tracks the care of those women who have previously had PIP implants implanted by the NHS. This collection covers the eight NHS providers which had used PIP implants on NHS patients in the past.
This submission is the fourth monthly submission. Previous data was weekly with the final week’s data being for the week ended 29 July 2012.
The key points from the latest data are:
Private PIP implants
- A total of 7,917 referrals have now been received, 44 of these were received during the last month (i.e. month ending 30 November).
- These referrals have been received by 121 trusts.
- 5,255 scans have now been completed and 42 of these were during the last month (i.e. month 30 November).
- The number of decisions to explant now stands at 633. Of these 633 there have been 418 explants to date.
- 4,328 women have completed their NHS offer and 45 of these have been this month.
- This collection splits the private patient data into 3 categories (Harley, Transform and Other). Harley and Transform are separately identified because, according the available information, they have the largest number of patients with PIP implants. “Other” includes unknown so some of these patients may be identified in later weeks as Harley or Transform patients.
NHS PIP implants
- The latest estimate of the number of women with NHS PIP implants in place on 6th January is 833.
- 827 women have been contacted.
- 131 scans have been completed. 394 decisions have been made to explant and 312 explants have already taken place.
- 435 women have completed their NHS offer.
Full tables are available on the Department of Health website.
The point at which the NHS offer is completed will vary according to the circumstances of each woman. Some women will simply want reassurance, others will decide after clinical advice to have their implants explanted by the NHS.
We welcome feedback on the content and presentation of these statistics within this Statistical Press Notice and those published on the DH website. If anyone has any comments on this, or any other issues regarding the data and statistics, then please email:
To contact the Media Centre, please refer to the Department of Health’s website for the relevant contact details.
The Government Statistical Service (GSS) statistician responsible for producing these data is:
Knowledge and Intelligence
Department of Health
Room 4E63, Quarry House, Quarry Hill,LeedsLS2 7UE
Published: 14 December 2012
From: Department of Health