The following statistics were released today by the Department of Health:
Latest weekly PIP implant data (covering the period 6th January to 10th June 2012)
This release covers two weekly data collections monitoring the “NHS Offer” for patients who have had PIP implants.
The first collection monitors the extent to which patients who had PIP implants implanted privately have presented to the NHS.
The second collection tracks the care of those women who have previously had PIP implants implanted by the NHS. This collection covers the seven NHS providers which had used PIP implants on NHS patients in the past.
The key points from the latest data are:
Private PIP implants
• A total of 7,098 referrals have now been received, 56 of these were received during the last week (ie week ending 10 June).
• These referrals have been received by 122 trusts.
• 4,349 scans have now been completed and 50 of these were during the last week.
• The number of decisions to explant now stands at 490 and 244 of these have been explanted to date.
• 3,067 women have completed their NHS offer and 78 of these have been this week.
• This collection splits the private patient data into 3 categories (Harley, Transform and Other). Harley and Transform are separately identified because, according the available information, they have the largest number of patients with PIP implants. “Other” includes unknown so some of these patients may be identified in later weeks as Harley or Transform patients.
NHS PIP implants
• The latest estimate of the number of women with NHS PIP implants in place on 6th January is 883.
• A total of 882 women have been contacted to date.
• 96 scans have been completed. 257 decisions have been made to explant and 93 explants have already taken place.
• 84 women have completed their NHS offer.
Full tables are available on the DH website.
The point at which the NHS offer is completed will vary according to the circumstances of each woman. Some women will simply want reassurance, others will decide after clinical advice to have their implants explanted by the NHS.
We welcome feedback on the content and presentation of these statistics within this Statistical Press Notice and those published on the DH website. If anyone has any comments on this, or any other issues regarding the data and statistics, then please email: Unify2@dh.gsi.gov.uk
Press enquiries contact:
Department of Health
Telephone: 020 7210 5221
The Government Statistical Service (GSS) statistician responsible for producing these data is:
Knowledge and Intelligence
Department of Health
Room 4E63, Quarry House, Quarry Hill, Leeds LS2 7UE