There is an urgent need to re-establish policing capacity in newly-liberated areas in order to consolidate the military gains and support the on-going stabilisation effort. There is an equally urgent requirement to begin laying the foundations for the development of effective civilian policing. This is critical for the future stability of the country and long-term development and security.
Progress made so far
Since coming to power the Government has worked through the Ministry of Interior and National Security (MINS), to consolidate existing plans into a new four-year Strategic Action Plan for policing. The Plan is focused on two strategic objectives: supporting the on-going stabilisation effort and establishing the foundations for long-term institutional development. This new Strategic Plan provides an opportunity to ensure national and international assistance is aligned to these objectives.
What are the Government’s priorities in policing?
More detailed priorities are set out in the Strategic Action Plan. The Ministry of Interior has identified the following key priorities:
- The need for swift implementation of the Strategic Action Plan for Policing to address immediate stabilisation needs and build institutional foundations for effective civilian policing that will enable the government to realise its security and development objectives;
- Co-ordinated international support and commitment to the implementation of this Strategic Action Plan for Policing;
- An urgent uplift in financing for the implementation of the Strategic Action Plan including agreement on effective donor co-ordination structures and financing mechanisms.
What do we want the conference to achieve?
- We want the conference to support the implementation of the Government’s strategic development plan for policing, and for international partners to put their support behind the Government’s Strategic Action Plan for Policing;
- We hope that international partners will work together to develop an agreed approach to government oversight, donor co-ordination and financing to implement the Strategic Action Plan for Policing.