Land Registry Price Paid Data tracks land and property sales in England and Wales submitted to them for registration.
This month’s Price Paid Data includes details of over 95,300 residential and commercial land and property sales in England and Wales lodged for registration in September 2016.
Of the 95,315 sales lodged for registration:
70,237 were freehold
11,497 were newly built
30,867 sales took place in September 2016
552 were residential sales in September 2016 in England and Wales for £1 million and over
313 were residential sales in September 2016 in London for £1 million and over.
Number of sales lodged for registration by property type
|Property type||September 2016|
The most expensive residential sale in September 2016 was of a semi-detached property in the London Borough of Kensington & Chelsea for £10,915,000. The cheapest residential sale in September 2016 was of a flat in Liverpool for £12,000.
The most expensive commercial sale in September 2016 was in the City of London for £32,000,000. The cheapest commercial sales in September 2016 were in the London boroughs of Southwark, Enfield and Tower Hamlets, each for £1,000.
Notes to editors
- Price Paid Data (PPD) is published at 11am on the 20th working day of each month. The next dataset will be published on 28 November 2016.
- Price Paid Data is property price data for all residential and commercial property sales in England and Wales that are lodged with us for registration in that month, subject to exclusions.
- The following information is available for each property:
- the full address
- the price paid
- the date of transfer
- the property type
- whether it is new build or not
- whether it is freehold or leasehold
- Price Paid Data can be downloaded in txt, csv format and in a machine readable format as linked data. It is available for anyone to examine or re-use free of charge under the Open General Licence (OGL) .
- Price Paid Data includes Standard Price Paid Data (SPPD) for single residential property sales at full market value and Additional Price Paid Data (APPD) for transactions previously excluded from SPPD such as:
- transfers to a non-private individual, for example a company, corporate body or business
- transfers under a power of sale (repossessions)
- buy-to-lets (where they can be identified by a mortgage).
The information available for each property will indicate whether it is APPD or SPPD and the record’s status - addition/change/deletion (A/C/D).
- The Price Paid Data report builder allows users to build bespoke reports using the data. Reports can be based on location, estate type, price paid or property type over a defined period of time.
- As a government department established in 1862, executive agency and trading fund responsible to the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Land Registry keeps and maintains the Land Register for England and Wales. The Land Register has been open to public inspection since 1990.
- With the largest transactional database of its kind detailing over 24 million titles, Land Registry underpins the economy by safeguarding ownership of many billions of pounds worth of property.
- For further information about Land Registry visit www.gov.uk/land-registry
- Follow us on:
For media enquiries only: Jessica Prasad
Telephone 0300 006 7037
Published: 28 October 2016
From: HM Land Registry