Investigation into the role Jimmy Savile played at Broadmoor Hospital: terms of reference.
The Board of West London Mental Health NHS Trust (WLMHT) and the Department of Health (DH) have commissioned this investigation into the role Jimmy Savile played at Broadmoor following allegations that he sexually abused patients. Broadmoor Hospital reported directly to DH between 1949 and 1989, to the Special Hospitals Service Authority between 1989 and 1996 and to the Broadmoor Hospital Authority between 1996 and 2001. Broadmoor Hospital has been part of the West London Mental Health NHS Trust since 2001.
The DH and the WLMHT will work together, with independent oversight from Kate Lampard, appointed by the Secretary of State for Health to oversee the NHS and DH investigations, to produce a report that will:
- thoroughly examine and account for Jimmy Savile’s association with Broadmoor Hospital, including approval for any roles and the decision making process relating to these
- review the access arrangements and any privileges accorded to Jimmy Savile, the reasons for these and whether they were subject to usual or appropriate supervision and oversight
- review relevant policies, practices and procedures that were in place during Jimmy Savile’s association with Broadmoor Hospital and compliance with these
- investigate past and current complaints concerning Jimmy Savile’s behaviour at Broadmoor Hospital or connected to his role there, including: what occurred, who was involved, whether complaints were appropriately reported, investigated and addressed and, if not, the reasons for this. The investigation does not have the power to impose disciplinary sanctions or make findings as to criminal or civil liability: where evidence is obtained of conduct that indicates the commission of criminal and/or disciplinary offences, the police and/or relevant employers will be informed
- review Jimmy Savile’s fundraising activities associated with Broadmoor Hospital and any issues that arose in relation to the governance, accountability for and the use of the funds
- consider the part played by Jimmy Savile’s celebrity status or his fund raising role in relation to the matters mentioned above
- review the adequacy of current complaints, safeguarding, whistleblowing and other relevant policies, practices and procedures relating to the matters mentioned above relevant to the DH and Broadmoor Hospital
- identify recommendations for further action.