The former Governor of Hong Kong, former Government Minister and currently Chancellor of Oxford University, has been selected as Government’s preferred candidate for appointment to the role of Chairman of the BBC Trust, in succession to Sir Michael Lyons.
The Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport has written to John Whittingdale OBE MP, Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee. The Committee will hold a pre-appointment hearing with Lord Patten on 10 March.
The Committee’s conclusions will be considered carefully before deciding whether or not to proceed with the appointment.
Notes to Editors
- The appointment of the BBC Trust Chair will be made on merit and a fair, open and transparent process, regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.
- The OCPA Code of Practice.
- Under the terms of the BBC Royal Charter, appointment of the BBC Trust chair and members is made by HM the Queen on recommendation from Ministers (the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport, through the Prime Minister).
- The term of the current chair, Sir Michael Lyons, ends on 30 April.
- Lord Patten has informed the DCMS that he will not undertake any interviews in advance of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee hearing.
Press Enquiries: 020 7211 2210
Out of hours telephone pager no: 07699 751153
Public Enquiries: 020 7211 6000