World news story

Notices of Marriage and Certificates of Non Impediment

The British Diplomatic Missions across Brazil will no longer issue Notices of Marriage and Certificates of Non Impediment.

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government


As of April 1st 2014, the British Diplomatic Missions across Brazil will no longer issue marriage documents Notice of Marriage and Certificate of Non Impediment to British Nationals. The Certificate of Non Impediment is currently required by local register offices (“Cartório de Registro Civil”) to support a marriage registration.

British Nationals who are asked to present this document to support their marriage application should follow the procedures below:

• British Nationals resident in the United Kingdom: You must apply for a Certificate of No Impediment at a UK Register Office, and have this document legalised by the Brazilian Consulate in London. Please note that the legalised certificate must be translated in Brazil by a sworn translator, registered at a State Commercial Board.

• British Nationals resident in Brazil: You must go to the local notary public to apply for all the necessary documents to register your marriage. If you do not speak Portuguese, it can still be done with the assistance of an official interpreter (notaries can provide customers with a list of qualified interpreters).

• British Nationals resident overseas (not Brazil) getting married in Brazil: Notaries are prepared to accept a sworn declaration signed by the British National at the consulate. This Declaration must follow the template determined by London, and will be issued in both Portuguese and English. This will be accounted for a notarial service (fee 4 - £55), and only offered to BNs who can prove they live overseas.

• British Nationals in Brazil getting married overseas: If you are getting married outside Brazil and the country where the marriage will take place still requires the British Diplomatic Mission to issue Notice of Marriages and CNIs, we can still issue the Notice of Marriage for you. Please note that this can only be done if you cannot be in the country where the marriage will take place long enough to apply for the Notice of Marriage or Certificate of Non Impediment locally.

Applications for Notice of Marriage done before April 1st 2014 will still be entitled to a Certificate of Non Impediment.

Published 2 March 2014