This new pay framework has been developed in the context of the government’s response to:
- the independent review of the pay framework for VSMs in Strategic Health Authorities, Special Health Authorities, Primary Care Trusts and Ambulance Trusts which recommended basing VSM pay on a job evaluation scheme
- reports from the senior salaries review body (SSRB) on senior pay in the public sector which recommended that a more consistent approach was required for senior pay in ENDPBs and recommended the adoption of a common framework which ranks ENDPBs in order of management challenge and which attaches pay ranges for chief executives to that rank order
- Will Hutton’s report on fair pay in the public sector which sets out principles that should inform the setting of executive pay; supported by greater transparency and more detailed disclosure of senior pay.
The VSM pay framework is subject to amendment in light of the SSRB’s report on market facing pay and the Government’s response.
Job evaluation handbook
This handbook should be read in conjunction with the Department of Health pay framework for very senior managers in arms length bodies (the pay framework) which provides further details on the pay framework to which this handbook relates, including:
- scope and eligibility
- the job evaluation and appeals process
- the pay system
- the roles of remuneration committees.
See the pay framework, job evaluation handbook and question and answers for very senior managers (VSMs) in arm’s length bodies (special health authorities and executive non-departmental public bodies).