This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The London Conference on Somalia takes place today. Foreign Ministers from around the world are attending, including both the President and Prime Minister of Somalia. See our coverage and join the debate.
The UK’s primary objective in Somalia is to seek a lasting political solution that will bring peace and security to the country, and reduce threats to the UK. With engagement from attendees at the highest level, the conference will agree a series of practical measures to support Somalia.
Following his visit to the country, Foreign Secretary William Hague described Somalia as the world’s worst failed state.
Speaking ahead of the conference the Foreign Secretary said that the aim is to agree a series of practical measures to support Somalia and to help the country get on its feet:
“We are realistic - Somalia’s problems cannot be solved in a day, but its people deserve a better future, and our own security requires their country to become more stable.”
Conference aims and information
- Full details on the Conference
- The UK’s work with Somalia on our British Office for Somalia website.
- Read and comment on Matt Baugh’s blog - British Ambassador to Somalia.
News & Speeches
- Somalia Conference sees important new action on piracy
- “Hope can be reborn in Somalia today” French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe’s speech
“A defining moment in the history of Somalia” Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki’s speech
“We have no more time to wait and see” UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s speech
“Today is the next stage of a long journey for Somalia” Prime Minister David Cameron’s opening speech
Conference conclusions: Humanitarian
Somalia: Aid for refugees who fled famine and fighting (Department for International Development)
- Foreign Secretary’s speech to Somali diaspora reception
- The British Office for Somalia is on Facebook and Twitter. Follow Twitter hashtag #LDNSomalia for news and discussion around the conference
- Photos on Flickr
Videos on YouTube (key speeches)
- Coverage of the Conference on Storify
- Foreign Secretary William Hague on facebook
- Foreign Secretary welcomes UN resolution on enhanced support for the African Union Mission in Somalia (22 February)
Strengthening the UK’s relationship with Somaliland (22 February)
- Foreign Secretary looks ahead to the conference (22 February)
International community targets pirate kingpins (21 February)
Sustaining EU support for stability in Somalia (9 February)
- A new effort to help Somalia- Foreign Secretary speech at British consultation on Somalia at Chatham House (8 February)
- Foreign Secretary answers questions on Africa via Twitter (6 February)
Foreign Secretary article on the conference aims (4 February)
- Foreign Secretary visits Somalia (2 February)