The Charity Commission has appointed an Interim Manager to the charity Al-Fatiha Global (registered charity number 1056562) (‘the Charity’).
On the 23 December 2014, the commission used its powers under the Charities Act 2011 (‘the Act’) to appoint Michael King of Stone King as Interim Manager of the Charity. This appointment is with the inclusion of the Charity’s trustees as a temporary and protective measure. This means that the Interim Manager will work alongside the trustees, who remain in place and continue to have the full powers, legal duties and responsibilities of trustees.
An Inquiry was opened on 21 March 2014. For further information about this see our public statement on the opening of the Inquiry on GOV.UK.
The Interim Manager’s main tasks include:
- appointing new trustees so there are sufficient numbers for meeting the quorum and the charity is able to operate constitutionally
- putting in place suitable policies and procedures including for sound governance and financial management including due diligence, monitoring and selection of its operational partners and conduct of its work overseas
It is the commission’s policy, after it has concluded an inquiry, to publish a report detailing what issues the inquiry looked at, what actions were undertaken as part of the inquiry and what the outcomes were. Reports of previous inquiries by the commission are available on GOV.UK.
Notes to editors
The Charity Commission is the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales.
- The commission’s mission is to be the independent registrar and regulator of charities in England and Wales, acting in the public’s interest, to ensure that:
- charities know what they have to do
- the public know what charities do
- charities are held to account
- Section 46 of the Charities Act 2011 gives the commission the power to institute inquiries. The opening of an inquiry gives the commission access to a range of protective and remedial powers. Section 76(3)(g) of the Act is temporary and protective power available to the commission after an inquiry has been opened to appoint an Interim Manager. This role is supervised by the commission in accordance with section 78 of the Act.
- The commission’s decision to announce the opening of a statutory inquiry is based on whether it is in the public interest to do so and with consideration of our objective to increase public trust and confidence in charities.