The British High Commission in Abuja manages a Bilateral Programme Budget (BPB) on behalf of the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). The programme funds small, targeted projects which support UK priorities.
The bidding round for prospective projects for the financial year 2015-16 is now open. We are pleased to invite NGO’s/Civil Society and development partners to submit project proposals for this funding stream. We are looking for innovative and creative interventions that will make a difference.
Projects will need to demonstrate clear measureable outcomes, and should contribute to bringing about change at a policy level in order to maximise the impact that a small amount of funding can deliver. Co-funded projects are particularly welcomed. Proposals should be strategically aligned with at least one of the following categories:
- Abolition of the death penalty
- Discrimination Against Women,Gender Equality and LGBT Rights
- Promotion and Protection of the Freedom of Expression
- Promoting Accountability, Transparency and Anti-Corruption in Businesses
- Freedom of Religion and Belief
- Education and Youth Development
- Supporting the links between British and Nigerian cultural activity
Project bids that seek to hold one off seminars, conferences, and study tours are unlikely to secure funding. While we are happy to accept research based projects, the Programme Board would need to be convinced that such a project would actually have an impact on the issue in the timeframe available. Such projects should clearly explain how the research will be used or disseminated to create impact. Programme funds should not be used to purchase equipment, such as laptops, vehicles etc.
Our contribution towards each project will be limited to approximately £20,000 and all projects need to be completed by the 15th of March 2016.
Project proposals must clearly demonstrate how they will support the FCO’s strategy in at least one of the categories mentioned above. All projects are assessed by the Programme Board at the British High Commission, Abuja, subject to the availability of funds.
Bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Value for money;
- Alignment with the strategic priorities;
- Evidence of local demand or need;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Project viability, including capacity of the implementing organisation;
- Project design (clear and achievable impact);
- Risk and stakeholder management;
You can see the full proposal forms and activity based budget template below:
Full proposal form – projects under £10k
Full proposal form - projects £10k - £80k
Activity based budget template - To get a copy of this, please email Lagos.Projects@fco.gov.uk
The deadline for submission of project bids is 26 June 2015. Please note that only projects submitted on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s project bidding form will be considered for funding. Any bids and questions concerning bids should be sent to the following email address: Lagos.Projects@fco.gov.uk