This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond welcomes release of Peter Greste but remains concerned about other journalists still in jail in Egypt.
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said:
I welcome the decision by the Egyptian authorities today to release Peter Greste. However, I remain concerned that Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed remain in jail.
It also appears that charges remain against the other journalists convicted in absentia, including British Nationals Dominic Kane and Sue Turton. I call on the Egyptian authorities to review their sentences as a matter of urgency.
We continue to believe that stability and prosperity in Egypt is dependent on open and inclusive politics and on full respect for the rights contained in the Egyptian constitution. I call on the Egyptian government to take further action to ensure the release of other journalists from prison, to release political detainees and to relax restrictions on civil society”.
News Desk 020 7008 3100
- All the latest news is available on the Foreign Office page of the gov.uk
- Follow the Foreign Secretary on twitter @PHammondMP
- Follow the Foreign Office on twitter @foreignoffice
- Follow the Foreign Office on facebook and Google+
- Subscribe to the announcements feed or email alerts to get our latest news and announcements