This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
This afternoon the Foreign Secretary telephoned Philippines Secretary for Foreign Affairs Albert Ferreros Del Rosario to offer British condolences for the loss of life in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan. The Foreign Secretary pledged continued support from the UK. He reiterated the Prime Minister’s announcement this morning that the UK will contribute an additional £30 million to the UN and the Red Cross appeals. He confirmed that HMS Daring would arrive in Cebu on Sunday morning, and HMS Illustrious on its way, as a significant reinforcement of the relief effort. He told Foreign Secretary Del Rosario that the British people had been profoundly moved by the suffering of people in the Philippines and have already donated £23 million to the DEC public appeal. They discussed what may be needed in the next phase of the response.
Mr Del Rosario said that words could not express his gratitude for the way the UK government and the British people have responded to help the people of the Philippines.
The Foreign Secretary confirmed that a number of British nationals remained unaccounted for. He asked that every possible assistance be given to any British people caught up in the disaster.