Energy trends and prices statistical release: 31 October 2013
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 31 October 2013 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period June to August, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- In the last 3 months indigenous energy production fell by 12.7%. (table ET 1.1)
- Oil production down 18.6% on a year earlier, due to long term decline and maintenance activity. (table ET 3.10)
- Gas production down 9.0% on a year earlier, due to reduction in demand and maintenance activity. (table ET 4.2)
- Coal provided 36% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with gas’s share at 30%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 10.5% due to increased capacity, with offshore wind up 11.4% and onshore wind up 9.6%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 3 percentage points to 34%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Primary energy consumption fell by 2.8%. On a temperature adjusted basis it fell by 3.0%. (table ET 1.2)
- Average petrol and diesel prices both fell in October. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of August 2013.
Statistics on solar photovoltaics deployment and average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of September 2013.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for September 2013, and petrol & diesel data for October 2013, with EU comparative data for September 2013.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 26 September 2013.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 28 November 2013.
The next release of provisional quarterly energy statistics for Q3 2013 (July to September), will take place on 19 December 2013.
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
To access the latest data release click on the relevant subject link(s) below.
|Subject and table number||Title|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|ET 6.4||Solar photovoltaics deployment|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Domestic energy price indices|
|QEP 2.1.1||Retail prices index: fuel components|
|QEP 2.1.2||Retail prices index: fuel components, relative to GDP deflator|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|QEP 4.1.2||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (annual data)|
|International road fuel prices|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|
Please note that the links above will always direct you to the latest data release. If you are interested in historical data please contact DECC (Kevin.Harris@decc.gsi.gov.uk)