The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 30 January 2014 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period September to November 2013, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK fell by 3.0%, but was up 1.4% on a temperature adjusted basis. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production rose by 1.8%. (table ET 1.1)
- Crude oil & NGL production up 8.5%, with crude oil production up 9.3% following maintenance activity in the same period a year earlier. (table ET 3.10)
- Gas production down 0.4%. (table ET 4.2)
- Coal production down 33.8% due to mine closures and geological conditions. (table ET 2.5)
- Coal provided 40.4% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with gas’s share at 26.0% and nuclear at 21.1%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 29.3%, with offshore wind up 35.5% and onshore wind up 23.9%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Bioenergy generation up 18.6% mainly due to the partial conversion to biomass of Drax. (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 4 percentage points to 33.8%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Average petrol and diesel prices both fell in January 2014. (table QEP 4.1.1)
- Domestic gas and electricity prices were up by 7% and 6% respectively in December 2013 reflecting the price increases from 4 of the big 6 suppliers. (table QEP 2.1.3)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of November 2013.
Statistics on solar photovoltaics deployment and average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of December 2013.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for December 2013, and petrol & diesel data for January 2014, with EU comparative data for December 2013.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 19 December 2013.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 27 February 2014.
The next release of provisional quarterly energy statistics for Q4 2013 (October to December), will take place on 27 March 2014.
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
To access the latest data release click on the relevant subject link(s) below.
|Subject and table number||Title|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|ET 6.4||Solar photovoltaics deployment|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Domestic energy price indices|
|QEP 2.1.1||Retail prices index: fuel components|
|QEP 2.1.2||Retail prices index: fuel components, relative to GDP deflator|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|QEP 4.1.2||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (annual data)|
|International road fuel prices|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|
Please note that the links above will always direct you to the latest data release. If you are interested in historical data please contact DECC (Kevin.Harris@decc.gsi.gov.uk)