The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 30 April 2015 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period December 2014 to February 2015, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis rose by 1.7%, on a temperature adjusted basis it fell by 0.7%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production fell by 2.7% driven by falls in UKCS output. (table ET 1.1),
- Nuclear production up 5.1% due to stations returning to operation after outages. (table ET 5.4)
- Lower coal generation due to the closure of plants, however coal share remains above gas. (table ET 5.4)
- Coal provided 34.7% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with gas at 25.1% and nuclear at 20.9%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 1.2%, whilst overall renewables up 13.4% with growth in biomass.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 3.3 percentage points to 40.2%, due to rises in nuclear and renewables generation.* (table ET 5.4)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of February 2015.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of March 2015.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for March 2015, and petrol & diesel data for April 2015, with EU comparative data for March 2015.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 26 March 2015.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 28 May 2015.
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
To access the latest data tables please click on the relevant subject link(s) below.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact DECC (email@example.com)
|Subject and table number||Title|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Domestic energy price indices|
|QEP 2.1.1||Retail prices index: fuel components|
|QEP 2.1.2||Retail prices index: fuel components, relative to GDP deflator|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|QEP 4.1.2||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (annual data)|
|International road fuel prices|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|