The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 29 October 2015 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period June to August 2015, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 0.7%, on a temperature adjusted basis it fell by 0.6%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production rose by a record 14.0% boosted by increased UKCS production with oil up 33% and gas up 8.6%. (table ET 1.1)
- Production growth at highest rate since production peak in 2000, though still down on 2012 levels. (table ET 1.1)
- Gas provided 36.8% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with nuclear at 25.1% and coal at 19.6%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 46% due to increased capacity and higher wind speeds, whilst overall renewables up 43% with growth in biomass and hydro.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 6.0 percentage points to 43.7%, due to rise in renewables generation.* (table ET 5.4)
- Petrol prices down 2.5 pence per litre on month whilst diesel prices up 1.0 pence per litre; diesel now dearer than petrol following two consecutive months of being chaeper. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of August 2015.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of September 2015.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for September 2015, and petrol & diesel data for October 2015, with EU comparative data for September 2015.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 24 September 2015.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 26 November 2015.
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
To access the latest data tables please click on the relevant subject link(s) below.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact DECC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number||Title|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Domestic energy price indices|
|QEP 2.1.1||Retail prices index: fuel components|
|QEP 2.1.2||Retail prices index: fuel components, relative to GDP deflator|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|QEP 4.1.2||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (annual data)|
|International road fuel prices|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|