Energy trends and prices statistical release: 27 March 2014
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 27 March 2014 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period November 2013 to January 2014, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK fell by 5.2%, on a temperature adjusted basis it fell by 2.3%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production fell by 2.7%. (table ET 1.1), with crude oil & NGL production down 3.2% (table ET 3.10), and gas production down 2.3%. (table ET 4.2)
- Coal production down 26.6%, with production in January 2014 at a record low level. (table ET 2.5)
- Coal provided 40.6% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with gas’s share at 24.4% and nuclear at 20.3%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 36%, with offshore wind up 20% and onshore wind up 49%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Bioenergy generation up 8.9% due to the partial conversion to biomass of Drax and the fall in coal generation. (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 5 percentage points to 35.1%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Average petrol and diesel prices both fell in March 2014. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of January 2014.
Statistics on solar photovoltaics deployment and average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of February 2014.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for February 2014, and petrol & diesel data for March 2014, with EU comparative data for February 2014.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 27 February 2014.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 24 April 2014.
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
To access the latest data release click on the relevant subject link(s) below.
|Subject and table number||Title|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|ET 6.4||Solar photovoltaics deployment|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Domestic energy price indices|
|QEP 2.1.1||Retail prices index: fuel components|
|QEP 2.1.2||Retail prices index: fuel components, relative to GDP deflator|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|QEP 4.1.2||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (annual data)|
|International road fuel prices|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|
Please note that the links above will always direct you to the latest data release. If you are interested in historical data please contact DECC (Kevin.Harris@decc.gsi.gov.uk)