News story

DVLA reminds customers of new refund rules

DVLA no longer accepts applications for a vehicle tax refund from customers using a V14 form. They will be rejected and returned to the customer.


Since 1 October 2014, you no longer need to make a separate application on a V14 for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA automatically issues a vehicle tax refund when a notification is received from the registered keeper that the:

  • vehicle has been sold or transferred
  • vehicle has been scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility
  • vehicle has been exported
  • vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • registered keeper has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class

Customers should ensure that the dates of acquisition and/or disposal provided on the notification via the vehicle registration certificate (V5C or logbook), V5C/2 and V5C/3 are current and accurate.

Taxing on behalf of a new keeper

Motor traders are asked to ensure that if they tax a vehicle on behalf of a new keeper, the V5C/2 should be used at the point when sale is agreed. Details of the new keeper should be completed on the V5C and sent to DVLA. The V5C/2 should be passed to the new keeper.

DVLA also suggest that motor traders may want to remove existing tax discs from vehicle windscreens to help new keepers understand that vehicle tax is no longer transferrable and must be taxed before being used on the road.

Published 26 November 2014
Last updated 11 March 2015 + show all updates
  1. Link to vehicle tax refunds section added.
  2. Adding information about removing the tax discs from windscreen.
  3. First published.