Drivers advised of overnight closures on the A1 in North Yorkshire
Drivers are advised there will be a series of closures on the A1 in North Yorkshire during June to carry out bridge and barrier work, remove overhead power cables, and re-surface sections of the road.
This work is part of the major A1 upgrade between Leeming and Barton. During the work the A1 will be closed northbound between junction 50 (Baldersby) and Scotch Corner, and southbound between Scotch Corner and junction 51. Clearly signed diversion routes will be in place and drivers are advised to add an extra 15 to 30 minutes to their journey time.
The A1 will be closed at the following times:
- 8pm Saturday 6 June to 6am Sunday 7 June, overnight carriageway closure in both directions for the removal of overhead cables
- Monday 8 June – Friday 12 June (8pm to 6am), overnight southbound carriageway closure to remove overhead cables
- 8pm Saturday 13 June to 12pm Sunday 14 June, overnight carriageway closure in both directions to carry out bridge works over the River Swale
- Monday 15 June – Friday 19 June (8pm to 6am), overnight southbound carriageway closure to remove overhead cables
- 8pm Saturday 20 June to 12pm Sunday 21 June, overnight carriageway closure in both directions to carry out bridge works over the River Swale
- Sunday 21 June to Friday 26 June, (8pm to 6pm), overnight northbound carriageway closure to carry out resurfacing, white-lining and traffic barriers
- Saturday 27 June to Tuesday 30 June, (8pm to 6am), overnight carriageway closure in both directions to carry out white-lining and surfacing works on the new section of the A1, west of Catterick
Traffic will be diverted to follow the A6108 from Catterick Garrison up to Richmond and through to Scotch Corner. From there drivers will follow the A1 South to Catterick South junction and follow the A6136 north through Catterick to reach the end of the diversion. For traffic to Catterick Garrison, drivers will need to follow Gatherley Road north to Catterick North junction, then continue into the A1 northbound to Scotch Corner. From here traffic will follow the A6108 to Richmond to then continue on to Catterick Garrison.
All closures have been carefully scheduled to minimise disruption to drivers and will be put in place when traffic flows are at their lowest.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.