Matt Hancock announced the reappointment of Sir Adrian Webb and Maureen McGinn as Chairs of Wales and Scotland’s Big Lottery Fund committees.
The Minister for the Cabinet Office, Matt Hancock has reappointed Sir Adrian Webb as the Chair of Big Lottery Fund Wales Committee and UK Board Member from 1 January 2016. Maureen McGinn has also been reappointed as Chair of the Big Lottery Fund Scotland Committee and UK Board Member from 1 December 2015.
Previously Vice-Chancellor of Glamorgan University, Sir Adrian has a wealth of experience of leading at executive and non-executive level in public, not for profit and education sectors. Maureen McGinn’s earlier career included working for a charity, a trade union and in central and local government, she has extensive experience of programmes which support children and vulnerable young people.
Welcoming the announcement Matt Hancock, Minister for the Cabinet Office, said:
“As chairs of the Big Lottery Fund committees in Wales and Scotland, Sir Adrian Webb and Maureen McGinn will continue to set the strategic direction and policy framework for funding programmes, enabling hundreds of millions of pounds to be distributed to charitable causes and projects related to health, education or the environment.”
The Scottish Government’s Social Justice Secretary, Alex Neil said:
“I am delighted at the reappointment of Maureen McGinn as Scotland Committee Chair for the Big Lottery Fund and look forward to working with her once again. Maureen makes a tremendous contribution to the work of the Big Lottery Fund in Scotland and is committed to making a real difference to people and communities. Across the country Big Lottery Fund projects are tackling inequalities and supporting vulnerable people in our society.”
The Welsh Government’s Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ken Skates said:
“I am pleased that Sir Adrian has been reappointed for a further term. During his first term as Chair, he has overseen the development of a range of grant programmes that have benefited communities throughout Wales. I am sure his experience and knowledge of the role will continue to prove valuable to the organisation over the next 4 years.”
Notes to editors
- Sir Adrian Webb has been reappointed as the Chair of Big Lottery Fund Wales Committee and UK Board Member. Maureen McGinn has also been reappointed as Chair of the Big Lottery Fund Scotland Committee and as a UK Board Member. Their periods of appointment commences on 1 January 2016 and 1 December 2015 respectively, for a 4 year period
- ministers in the Wales and Scottish Governments have confirmed their agreement to the reappointments
- both have been members of the UK Board and committee chairs for the last 4 years
- these re-appointments have been made in accordance with The Commissioner for Public Appointments’ Code of Practice for Ministerial Appointments to Public Bodies
- Maureen McGinn is Chair of the Scotland Committee and has been a Member of the UK Board of the Fund since 2011. Prior to that, she was a member of the first Scotland Committee from its creation in 2007. Her previous grantmaking experience included running the Laidlaw Youth Project and Trust. She has been a trustee of several charities, including Evaluation Support Scotland and ASH Scotland, an advisor on social justice to the Paul Hamlyn Foundation and co-chair and Member of the first Scottish Poverty Truth Commission. Maureen’s career has spanned the public and voluntary sectors, including working for a national charity, a trade union and as a senior civil servant
- Sir Adrian Webb Chair of the Big Lottery Fund, Wales Country Committee, was previously Vice Chancellor of Glamorgan University and chaired the independent review into further education in Wales. He was on the Board Chair of NHS Trust and Chair of Wales Employment and Skills Board