Bed Availability and Occupancy - Quarter ending 30 September 2012:
It collects the total number of available bed days and the total number of occupied bed days by consultant main specialty. Main findings are:
- The average daily number of beds open overnight was 135,602 in Quarter 2 2012/13 compared with 137,339 in Quarter 1 2012/13.
- The average occupancy rate for all beds open overnight was 85.2% in Quarter 2 2012/13 compared with 85.9% in Quarter 1 2012/13.
- The average daily number of general and acute beds open overnight was 103,774 in Quarter 2 2012/13 compared with 104,933 in Quarter 1 2012/13.
- The average occupancy rate for general and acute beds open overnight was 86.5% in Quarter 2 2012/13 compared with 87.7% in Quarter 1 2012/13.
- The average daily number of day only beds was 11,701 in Quarter 2 2012/13 compared with 11,521 in Quarter 1 2012/13.
Notes to Editors
This dataset covers the number of beds for each NHS provider which are available for patients to have treatment or care.
We welcome feedback on the content and presentation of these statistics within this Statistical Press Notice and those published on the DH website. If anyone has any comments on this, or any other issues regarding the data and statistics, then please email.
Full details of activity data for individual organisations is available on the Department of Health website.
To contact the Media Centre, please refer to the Department of Health’s website for the relevant contact details.
The Government Statistical Service (GSS) statistician responsible for producing these data is:
Knowledge and Intelligence
Department of Health
Room 4E63, Quarry House, Quarry Hill, Leeds LS2 7UE