Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The next steps for government will be further engagement with affected stakeholders to finalise the detail of the levy, prior to laying regulations before Parliament to introduce the levy in April 2022.
Detail of feedback received
We received 34 responses to this consultation, of which:
- 20 were from trade unions (one of which was the Trades Union Congress, a federated trade union)
- 10 were from employers’ associations
- 4 were from individuals or other organisations
The Certification Officer is responsible for statutory functions relating to trade unions and employers’ associations.
This consultation seeks your views on the government’s proposed implementation of section 20 of the Trade Union Act 2016. This gives the Certification Officer the power to impose a levy on trade unions and employers’ associations to recover the cost of oversight and regulation.
We are consulting on the detail of how the proposed financial regime will operate. Specifically, we are seeking views on:
- what cost components the Certification Officer should use to calculate the contributions that trade unions and employers’ associations should make
- how much those organisations should pay towards the levy
We welcome views from trade unions, employer associations, and other interested organisations and individuals.