This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The changes to the Mandate are set out in the response and can be grouped into the following:
- introduction of new system-wide priorities to improve care
- setting out further ambitions on a limited number of areas to improve patient care
- updates to reflect the work being taking forward by NHS England
In refreshing the Mandate, we have taken action to reflect what we heard during the consultation.
- rationalised the volume of changes introduced in the Mandate - a broad range of organisations felt strongly that the government should seek to minimise the number of new changes so soon into a 2-year Mandate
- ensured that the Mandate was refreshed in a way that ensures stability and builds on the progress being made
- increased the focus on outcomes and avoided being overly prescriptive
Consultation on refreshing the Mandate to NHS England for 2014 to 2015.
This consultation ran from
The government is consulting on refreshing the Mandate to NHS England for 2014 to 2015. The Mandate sets the government’s ambitions for the NHS as well as the funding available to achieve the kind of care people need and expect.
There have been crucial developments and new evidence that has emerged since the publication of the first Mandate, which calls on the government and NHS England to act.
The main proposed changes reflect these core priorities:
- the actions being taken forward by NHS England in response to the Francis Report to transform the care people receive
- working with NHS England to develop a vulnerable older people plan, which will improve support for older people and those with long term conditions, particularly through reform of primary care given its pivotal role within communities
- the need for the NHS to contribute to the recovery of the economy and make better use of resources in light of the challenging financial climate
The government is also proposing to make a number of targeted changes to the current Mandate objectives that are thought to be essential to achieve improvements in people’s care.
The Health and Social Care Act 2012 requires the Mandate to be reviewed on an annual basis to ensure that it remains up to date. It is important to provide the NHS with stability and continuity of purpose and we therefore propose to carry forward all the existing 24 objectives.
PDF, 184KB, 24 pages
PDF, 644KB, 36 pages
PDF, 131KB, 16 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.