Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
Over 200 unique responses were received, from stakeholders including:
- family members with personal experience of birth injury
- the organisations that support them
- frontline clinical and legal professionals
The rapid resolution and redress scheme (RRR) aims to introduce a system of consistent and independent investigations for all instances where there may be severe avoidable birth injury, along with access to ongoing support and compensation for eligible babies through an administrative scheme.
The main aims are:
- reducing the number of severe avoidable birth injuries by encouraging a learning culture
- improving the experience of families and clinicians when harm has occurred
- making more effective use of NHS resources
This consultation seeks views about the proposed scheme, including:
- how the scheme is administered
- the eligibility threshold for compensation
- how learning would best be shared and acted on to reduce future harm
This consultation is accompanied by a consultation-stage impact assessment and 2 independent research reports that were commissioned by the department to inform the early stages of policy development in preparing for the consultation.