This consultation ran from to
A working group driven by industry members and in conjunction with the MCA, has developed the proposed new Workboat Code.
The aims of the new Workboat Code;
- recognised and implement industry best practice
- enhance safety standards by increasing equipment standards and levels of crew training to the current internationally recognised levels
- permits domestically operating workboats to carry liferafts complying with a lower international standard that is more appropriate for short voyages
- align equipment requirements and update practice in line with other existing UK and international requirements
- recognise the increased use of fast powerful catamarans in the workboat industry and provides technical standards that are more economical to comply with while ensuring appropriate levels of safety for these specialist craft
- provide a consistent national standard which will be recognised by both UK and overseas contractors and
- allow operators to compete more effectively for contracts
The changes to the Workboat Code are not considered to be new standards but a reflection of the changes to workboats through operational experience and what is thought to be best practice.