New Plan for Immigration
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The government’s response to the New Plan for Immigration consultation has now been published.
We have also published a report on the outcome of a review of legal routes from the EU for protection claimants including family reunion of unaccompanied children. This discharges the government’s duty from section 3(5)(b) of the Immigration and Social Security Co-ordination (EU Withdrawal) Act 2020.
The New Plan for Immigration has the following three objectives:
- To increase the fairness and efficacy of our system so that we can better protect and support those in genuine need of asylum
- To deter illegal entry into the UK, thereby breaking the business model of criminal trafficking networks and protecting the lives of those they endanger
- To remove more easily from the UK those with no right to be here
This policy statement is accompanied by an engagement and consultation process that will run for 6 weeks from 24 March 2021.
We want to hear a wide range of views and perspectives, from stakeholders and members of the public. To achieve this, we invite you to register and participate in our online questionnaire to provide your views. To participate please use the link below. You will be able to provide views on our proposals for:
- Protecting those fleeing persecution, oppression and tyranny
- Ending anomalies, and delivering fairness in British Nationality Law
- Reforming the asylum system
- Streamlining asylum claims and appeals
- Supporting victims of modern slavery
- Disrupting criminal networks behind people smuggling
- Enforcing removals, including foreign national offenders
Last updated 29 March 2022 + show all updates
Added accessible versions of the government response to the consultation.
Added Welsh version of government response to the consultation on the New Plan for Immigration.
Response to consultation published.
Added Welsh language versions of New Plan for Immigration policy statement (web and accessible).
Accessible HTML version of policy statement published.