Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
Due to support for the proposals we, with other changes, will:
- develop training materials to help trainees ensure they can obtain the appropriate theoretical knowledge either before starting CBT or as part of the CBT course
- introduce changes to the CBT standards checks to focus on core trainer competencies of lesson planning, risk management and teaching and learning strategies in line with the National Rider Trainer Standard
- make changes to the CBT certificate to reflect a course undertaken on an automatic machine and recommend that riders take further training if they want to ride a geared motorcycle
The outcome was released on 14 July 2015.
We are proposing changes to Compulsory basic training (CBT) courses of:
- to the structure and content of CBT courses
- the qualification process for instructors
- the standards checks for instructors
We are reviewing the delivery of CBT courses for motorcyclists to help ensure that learner riders are better prepared to ride safely on today’s roads.