Detail of outcome
The Charity Commission for England and Wales, the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) and the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland has published new guidance that takes account of feedback from the consultation.
Detail of feedback received
A number of common themes emerged in the feedback:
- it is helpful to retain a list of matters
- support for the removal of Matter 8 from the previous list of matters
- the need for clarity around the alignment of accounting terminology
- concerns regarding the inclusion of a matter in respect of the trustees failure to take action on matters identified for a previous year
The Charity Commission has taken account of this feedback in developing the new guidance jointly with OSCR and CCNI.
The Charity Commission for England and Wales (CCEW) and the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) previously published a single list of matters to be reported to the regulators by Auditors and Independent Examiners which was consistent for England, Wales and Scotland. The proposed new list of material matters to be reported to the regulators follows the establishment of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland (CCNI) and takes account of our experience of regulation to date.
All three charity regulators are interested in your views. In summary we are seeking your views on:
- whether the matters outlined are the correct matters which should be reported to us
- the descriptions of the matters – are they clear and helpful?
- if there are any other matters which should be included, or indeed any matters which should be removed, and if so, why?