Detail of outcome
We published Matthew Oakley’s independent review of Jobseeker’s Allowance sanctions and the government’s response to the review on 22 July 2014.
Matthew’s review recommends:
- improving the letters sent to claimants
- broader communication improvements
- improving claimants’ understanding of what they are required to do
- improving communication and understanding of the sanctions process
The government has accepted all of Matthew’s recommendations.
DWP has appointed Matthew Oakley, a member of the Social Security Advisory Committee, to carry out an independent review of Jobseeker’s Allowance sanctions.
Matthew will look at:
- the clarity of information given to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) claimants who have had their benefits reduced for failing to take part in mandatory back to work schemes
- what could be done to make the process clearer
He would like to hear from:
- JSA claimants who have been sanctioned
- people working on behalf of claimants who have been sanctioned
- Jobcentre Plus advisers and decision makers
- employment programme providers
We have also published a flyer you can use to raise awareness of the review with claimants.