Independent abortion clinic regulation
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
This consultation has concluded
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
Over 1,400 people responded to the consultation and after considering the responses the department has clarified and strengthened the existing procedures and legal requirements independent abortion clinics must follow.
The amendments the department is making are:
- all counsellors are required to have a minimum qualification in pregnancy counselling to diploma level
- updating existing procedures to reflect changes to the Care Quality Commission’s regulatory framework
- guidance setting out the department’s interpretation of the law on abortion which all clinics must follow
The government will work alongside independent abortion clinic providers to ensure that changes to procedures are correctly implemented and that legal requirements are being met.
None of the changes represent a change in policy as changes to abortion legislation must be proposed by back benchers and are subject to free vote.
This consultation ran from
Proposed changes to the procedures for the approval of independent sector places for the termination of pregnancy.
PDF, 118KB, 12 pages
PDF, 167KB, 34 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This consultation seeks views on the updated procedures that independent sector places must follow in order to be approved to carry out termination of pregnancy.
The updated procedures are designed to ensure compliance with all legal requirements and provide the best quality of care for patients.
This consultation was launched on 22 November 2013. Due to an administrative error, we are extending the deadline for responses from 17 January to 3 February 2014.
Published: 22 November 2013
Updated: 23 May 2014
- Government response to the consultation on changes to procedures for the approval of Independent Sector places for termination of pregnancy.
- Due to an administrative error the deadline for responses is being extended from 17 January to 3 February 2014.
- First published.
From: Department of Health