Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
There are a small number of areas where we have decided to amend our proposals in light of responses received. We explain these in more detail later in this document, but in summary, the areas that have changed from our consultation proposals are:
- marking assessments – to provide additional guidance on factors an awarding organisation should consider when considering whether it is possible for it to mark an assessment itself in a way that is valid and manageable, or whether it might be necessary to permit centre-marking to secure this
- prior learning – to make it clearer how an awarding organisation should consider whether it is possible to recognise prior learning or prior attainment for the Core across different Technical Qualifications
- Total Qualification Time (TQT) – to clarify how TQT should be calculated and how to balance Ofqual’s TQT requirements with any figure or range set by the Institute
We have decided to implement the rest of our proposals unchanged, other than minor changes to wording to improve clarity. These areas are:
- qualification purpose
- assessment strategies and outline content
- assessment structure
- assessment objectives
- controls on taking assessments
- assessment availability and retakes
- setting and maintaining grade standards
- results and certification
- reviewing and appealing results
- other General Conditions and guidance
Detail of feedback received
We received 10 responses to our consultation.
All respondents were based in England or Wales. One indicated they were additionally based in Wales, and one was additionally based in Wales and Northern Ireland. In addition to those that responded to the consultation, there were 50 attendees at our consultation events and webinar.
As part of the reform of the technical education system, the government is introducing new T Level programmes. Each of these programmes will include a new Technical Qualification.
This consultation builds on the decisions we have made and seeks views on:
- our detailed proposals for regulating new Technical Qualifications
- the draft rules and guidance we are proposing to introduce for new Technical Qualifications, which will sit alongside our existing rules and guidance for all qualifications.