Consultation outcome

GCSE, AS and A level reform: regulations for drama/drama and theatre

This consultation has concluded

Download the full outcome

GCSE Drama and AS and A Level Drama and Theatre: Decisions on Conditions and Guidance

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Analysis of Responses to our Consultation on Conditions and Guidance for GCSE Drama and AS and A Level Drama and Theatre

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (eg a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Detail of outcome

We have decided to adopt some of our proposed rules and guidance for reformed GCSEs in drama, and reformed AS and A levels in drama and theatre.

We have also made a number of changes to reflect concerns raised in response to our consultation. In particular, we have:

  • removed the requirement for exam boards to set tasks for devised performances
  • given exam boards more flexibility around how they structure their non-exam assessment
  • removed some other unnecessary constraints on the design of assessments
  • revised our guidance on the term ‘complete and substantial performance text’ at GCSE to include texts typically longer than 45 minutes when performed
  • changed our proposed approach to marking of non-exam assessment

We have already published final versions of our:

GCSE drama

Our new rules will require exam boards offering reformed GCSEs in drama to:

  • comply with the Department for Education’s subject content for GCSE drama, and our assessment objectives
  • allocate 60% of marks to non-exam assessment, with the remaining 40% allocated to exams
  • set and publish a list of set texts for the written exams
  • ensure that students do not get credit for answering exam questions on a set text they have performed for the non-exam assessment
  • require students to participate in at least two performances - a devised performance and a text-based performance - only one of which can be a monologue
  • require, as appropriate, evidence of students’ performance and their contribution to the devising of that performance
  • mark at least one of the non-exam assessment tasks themselves, with any tasks not marked by the exam board marked by teachers (and moderated by the exam board)
  • explain in their assessment strategies how they are managing the risks associated with their chosen approach to non-exam assessment.

Our guidance explains how awarding organisations should our assessment objectives, as well as certain key terms used in the subject content. It also sets out our expectations for group sizes in performance tasks, and the assessment of non-performance roles.

AS drama and theatre

Our new rules will require exam boards offering reformed AS drama and theatre qualifications to:

  • comply with the Department for Education’s subject content for AS and A level drama, and our assessment objectives
  • allocate 60% of marks to non-exam assessment, with the remaining 40% allocated to exams
  • set and publish a list of set texts for the written exams
  • ensure that students do not get credit for answering exam questions on a set text they have performed for the non-exam assessment
  • require students to participate in a text-based performance
  • require evidence of students’ performance and their contribution to the devising of that performance
  • either mark non-exam assessment themselves, or moderate marks awarded by teachers
  • explain in their assessment strategies how they are managing the risks associated with their chosen approach to non-exam assessment.

Our guidance explains how awarding organisations should our assessment objectives, as well as certain key terms used in the subject content. It also sets out our expectations for group sizes in performance tasks, and the assessment of non-performance roles.

A level drama and theatre

Our new rules will require exam boards offering reformed A level drama and theatre qualifications to:

  • comply with the Department for Education’s subject content for AS and A level drama, and our assessment objectives
  • allocate 60% of marks to non-exam assessment, with the remaining 40% allocated to exams
  • set and publish a list of set texts for the written exams
  • ensure that students do not get credit for answering exam questions on a set text they have performed for the non-exam assessment
  • require students to participate in at least two performances - a devised performance and a text-based performance - only one of which can be a monologue
  • require, as appropriate, evidence of students’ performance and their contribution to the devising of that performance
  • mark at least one of the non-exam assessment tasks themselves, with any tasks not marked by the exam board marked by teachers (and moderated by the exam board)
  • explain in their assessment strategies how they are managing the risks associated with their chosen approach to non-exam assessment.

Our guidance explains how awarding organisations should our assessment objectives, as well as certain key terms used in the subject content. It also sets out our expectations for group sizes in performance tasks, and the assessment of non-performance roles.

Original consultation

This consultation ran from to

Summary

This consultation is about the rules and guidance we need to put in place for new GCSEs, AS and A levels in drama or drama and theatre.

Documents

Consultation description

This consultation is about the rules and guidance we plan to put in place for new GCSEs in drama, and new AS and A levels in drama and theatre. These rules will apply to the exam boards that want to offer new drama GCSEs and new drama and theatre AS and A levels from September 2016.

This consultation takes forward decisions made following our earlier consultation ‘Developing new GCSE, A level and AS qualifications for first teaching in 2016 - Part 2’, and is part of Ofqual’s work supporting the government’s changes to GCSEs, AS and A levels.