Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
This document provides a summary of responses to the consultation, with details on how the consultation was carried out, and sets out the final approach to transposition (implementation) of the EU Directive. A total of 31 responses was received - the responses were broadly supportive of the government’s proposals.
Detail of feedback received
A summary of the feedback is included in the full outcome document.
This is a consultation on the government’s suggestions for implementing the EU Directive 2011/24/EU. This directive concerns patients’ rights to cross-border healthcare in other member states of the European Economic Area.
We are seeking views on:
- centralising cross-border administration at the NHS England from 1 April 2013
- setting up a cross-border healthcare National Contact Point for England (within NHS England) by October 2013
- improving information on patients’ rights and entitlements
- provisions for dealing with patients from other countries who want to use NHS facilities under the terms of the Directive
- how the processes of prior authorisation and patient reimbursement should work
An impact assessment is also available.